City of York Council has started major road works at the junction of A19 Shipton Road / Park and Ride Access as part of the Traffic Signal Asset Renewal Programme. Works started on Monday 10th May and will last for 5 weeks.
The works consists of:
- Full renewal of the traffic signal equipment and ducting networks
- Minor changes to the pedestrian / cyclist crossing over Shipton Road including relaying the tactile paving and resurfacing of the islands.
- Amendments to cycle facilities to improve shared space and access arrangements including removing the current cycle access control leading to Old Shipton Road. This also includes resurfacing of footways.
The civils / ground work will be carried out by the Council’s in-house contractor with the specialist traffic signals contractor Dynniq undertaking the traffic signals works. Generally, the hours of working will be 9:00am – 4:30pm, 7 days a week. In order to safely construct part of the work some evening works may be required. Notification of these will be provided in advance if required.
To allow the Council to undertake the work safely and to minimise disruption to users there will be some restrictions during the works. These include:
- Banning of the right turn into the Park and Ride Access from Shipton Road for the duration of the project.
- Banning of the left turn out of the Park and Ride to Shipton Road for the duration of the project.
- Banning of the left turn into or right turn out of the Park and Ride Access as required during the works. These will be done in conjunction with the Park and Ride operator.
Signed diversion routes will be put in place as required for the above restrictions.
Parking restrictions on Old Shipton Road will be in place during the last week of the works (7th June to 11th June) to allow works on the cyclist / pedestrian route linking Old Shipton Road to the junction to be undertaken safely.
For any enquires regarding these works please send correspondence to: [email protected]