The York Liberal Democrats have launched their full manifesto for the upcoming 2019 local election campaign; ‘Working for You, Working for York’.
The manifesto was launched on Saturday 6th April at one of the Liberal Democrats’ achievements in administration; the Burnholme Community Hub, which has provided York with a new Library, as well as additional sports and leisure facilities.
Building on the previous announcement of the ‘Focus on Five’ and the full slate of council candidates, ‘Working for you, Working for York’ outlines the Liberal Democrat plan for the city over the next four years.
Some of the key initiatives and pledges outlined in the manifesto include:
- Increase investment in the Council’s frontline services, including city-wide improvements for roads and footways.
- Setting up a new ‘Street Environment Service’ to address issues such as fly-tipping and illegal parking.
- Delivering more affordable homes, including Council-owned properties, to help people in the city find a home.
- Create York’s first Climate Commission, alongside delivering the UK’s first voluntary Clean Air Zone in York and promoting sustainable transport.
- Create a ‘Safer Communities Fund’ by increasing investment in local communities.
- Develop a ‘Ready for Secondary’ scheme to help more pupils make the successful transition to secondary school.
- Establish a new holiday activities scheme for Children and Young People to enjoy.
- Ensure a mental health first aider is available for every school in the city.
- Explore future opportunities for a Tourist Levy in York, in order to generate new investment in York.
Launched by Group Leader, Cllr Keith Aspden and Liberal Democrat national spokesperson and peer, The Right Honourable Lord William Wallace, Working for You, Working for York aims to: Make York cleaner, greener and smarter; Build the homes York needs; Create safer communities; Give York’s children a better start and Improve the economy for all.
Cllr Keith Aspden, Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group, said:
“I am delighted to launch and promote the Liberal Democrat plan for the city ahead of the upcoming local elections here in York.”
“Residents feel passionately about protecting and improving York’s frontline services; investing in services which protect the most vulnerable in our city and supporting our communities. That is exactly what we are seeking to do.”
“With more Liberal Democrat Councillors elected to the Council this May, we are determined to continue improving services which matter to local residents. If you want a Council that is focussed on your community, that listens and delivers on your priorities, I hope residents will vote Liberal Democrat on May 2nd.”
To see the full Manifesto online, please visit: www.yorklibdems.org.uk/manifesto.