With the upcoming local elections in May approaching, the Liberal Democrats have launched their ‘Focus on Five’ manifesto themes for the campaign.
The Focus on Five outlines five policy themes that the Liberal Democrats will campaign on and feature in our manifesto. With the prospect of more Liberal Democrat Councillors elected to the City of York Council, the Liberal Democrats will focus on delivering:
- Make York cleaner, greener and smarter: by setting up a new service to tackle fly-tipping, clean our streets and enforce against illegal parking. We will also deliver York’s Clean Air Zone, the city’s first climate commission and encourage sustainable transport.
- Create safer communities: by expanding neighbourhood enforcement, establishing a Crime Prevention Fund for all wards to spend on creating safer spaces and tackling anti-social behaviour. We will also secure Purple Flag accreditation for an improved city centre.
- Build the homes York needs: Over the next four years, we will deliver more affordable homes, including Council-owned homes, to help everyone in the city, including young families and key workers. We will protect York’s special character by adopting a Local Plan and continue our campaign for a ‘Fair Deal for York.’
- Give York’s children a better start: We will create a new community activities scheme for young people and families, support our local libraries, expand apprenticeships, protect York’s vital Children Centres and increase investment in young people’s mental health services.
- Improve the economy for all: by continuing to deliver major projects such as York Central, as well as strengthening the city’s economy through supporting business, investing in our roads, increasing investment to all of our high streets and explore opportunities for a York ‘Tourist Levy.’