The first phase of the Castle Gateway scheme has been given the green light following approval from the Council Executive.
Following tonight’s meeting of the Council Executive (Tuesday 21st January), the first phase of the Castle Gateway masterplan will now proceed, with the Council funding and managing its progress.
The first phase of the masterplan provides the foundation for the delivery of the entire Castle Gateway scheme, which once delivered, will bring a range of benefits to the city, including:
• Replacing Castle Car park with a multi-storey car park at St George’s Field, allowing new public space to be created around Clifford’s Tower;
• A new pedestrian cycle crossing over the inner-ring road, and a new bridge over the River Foss;
• A new public park at the rear of the Castle Museum and a riverside pocket park on Piccadilly;
• 106 new apartments at Castle Mills, including new affordable Council housing;
• New commercial spaces suitable for small independent traders or businesses.
Planning applications have already been submitted for majority of phase one, with further decisions expected to be taken later in the year.
Cllr Nigel Ayre, Liberal Democrat Executive Member for Finance and Performance, commented:
“I am pleased that we have taken the next step to deliver the Castle Gateway scheme and regenerate this crucial part of the city. The Council has played a pivotal role to lead this transformation, ending decades of failed proposals led by the private sector.”
“Looking forward, we will maintain our leadership role to give us control over the quality of the development and to ensure the public benefits are secured, including new public spaces, new cycle and walkways, space for businesses to grow and more affordable homes.”
“We remain aware that costs can change, so we will make sure we consider the plans further when we have detailed tendered prices for delivery.”
For further information on the delivery of the first phase of the Castle Gateway project, please follow this link: https://democracy.york.gov.uk/documents/s137442/Castle%20Gateway%20phase%20one%20delivery%20Exec%20report.pdf.