Coronavirus developments are unfolding at a rapid pace, leaving many businesses struggling to keep up with the latest guidance and opportunities for support. Find out more about the different opportunities available to businesses and individuals in York provided in our information centre below.
Support for businesses
- Government backed loans - Full details of the £5m scheme, including eligibility criteria, are available on the British Business Bank website
- Business grants – City of York have paid out £34 million so far find out more details here https://www.york.gov.uk/COVIDBusinessGrant
- Council emergency fund – City of York have established a £1 million emergency fund https://www.york.gov.uk/COVIDMicroGrant
- Local and national updates - york.gov.uk/BusinessSupport
- Social Distancing – latest guidance
- Job protection – HMRC will reimburse 80% of furloughed workers wage costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month. Awaiting HMRC’s processes and timescales to be put in place.
- Business rates – The Government has pledged to provide £20 billion of business rates support and grant funding to help the most-affected firms manage their cashflow through this period. See further information about rates relief
- Sick pay refunds – The government will enable employers with fewer than 250 employees to reclaim up to 2 weeks' Statutory Sick Pay
- Supporting your city – If you are a business, email [email protected] if you would like to offer your support or service to City of York Council.
- Paying tax - If you run a business or are self-employed, and you're concerned about paying your tax due to coronavirus, call HMRC’s Tax helpline to support businesses; telephone: 0800 0159 559.
- Food business advice - The council has prepared a letter with specific advice for the city’s food businesses. The government is also set to introduce legislation to allow pubs and restaurants to operate as takeaways
- Bank Loans – we are aware of the difficulties faced by some local businesses in accessing the Government’s Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan scheme. If you have any issues please report it to [email protected]
Help for self-employed
- The Liberal Democrats are lobbying the government to provide support to the 12,000 self-employed people in York.
- Information on the Self Employment Income Scheme can be found here - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme
- Income Tax Self-Assessment payments due on 31 July 2020 have been deferred until 31 January 2021. This is automatically applied.
- If you are not already receiving benefits you might be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance: gov.uk/benefits-calculators
- If you already receive benefits like Tax Credits or Housing Benefit, you might be entitled to more money while you are off work. Speak to the office paying you for more information.
- If you are already receiving Tax Credits: update your change in circumstances https://www.gov.uk/changes-affect-tax-credits
- If you are already receiving Universal Credit: update your change in circumstances https://www.gov.uk/sign-in-universal-credit
- If you are already receiving Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit: update your change in circumstances https://www.york.gov.uk/BenefitsChangeOfCircumstances
Help for individuals
- York Financial Assistance Scheme – YFAS provides help to local people in financial difficulty due to exceptional circumstances https://www.york.gov.uk/YFAS
- Statutory Sick Pay – Check your sick pay entitlement here https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay
- Universal Credit – guide to applying https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit
- ‘New Style’ Employment and Support Allowance – guide to applying https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
- Guidance for employees - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees
Useful platforms for businesses
- York Mix is offering a free slot on its #SupportAYorkBusiness platform.
- York Press has launched a new campaign which includes free advertising slots for all SMEs.
- orderfrom.co.uk is a free tool allowing businesses to get online.
- yorkhighstreet.com is also promising a platform for local businesses
- We are aware that fake HMRC scams are circulating. If you are a business wanting advice please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19
- If you would like any further information on scams please visit the Action Fraud Website: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/